The swimming pool is without a doubt one of the most coveted places in the home during the warmer months. Across Texas, kids will practically spend their entire weekend splashing around while mum and dad relax poolside. The backyard pool is also as appealing for neighbors and friends who will drop by to join in the fun.
So how do you keep your swimming pool looking its best, free of leaves, dirt, algae, and bugs?
Here, your Austin Pool Specialist gives you their ten top tips for keeping your swimming pool sparkling this summer:
- Keep the water clean with a skimmer at least once a week to keep it free from bugs and leaves.
- Use a pool cleaner or vacuum or brush the debris on the bottom of the pool towards the main filter. This will give your pool a sparkling effect.
- Clean and replace your filter every 2 to 5 years. It is important to regularly check your filter.
- It is important to regularly check the chlorine and pH levels.
- Regularly empty the basket in the skimmer to keep it free of leaves, bugs and debris.
- Wind can carry twigs, leaves and debris into the pool so choosing the right plants for your poolside landscaping can be the difference between relaxing poolside or spending hours skimming leaves from the pool’s surface.
- Get a pool cover. This will stop any leaves and debris from falling into the pool and it will keep the temperature of the water warmer and is effective against evaporation.
- The taller the pool fence the less likely debris is to fall into the pool. Having a high fence doesn’t mean you have to block out the view either; glass fencing is equally as effective at keeping any unwanted bits and pieces from flying into the pool.
- Get things right the first time around! Some pool filters are easier to clean than others so do your research. Also regular maintenance ensures your pool filters will work more efficiently.
- Install a giltration System fitted between the pump and the filter separates out solids down to 40 microns, reducing the frequency of cleaning by 50 percent.